On this Leuven tour, or Louvain tour if you prefer, you will discover why Leuven is considered one of the hidden gems of Europe and an up-and-coming city destination for those that want to avoid the crowds in Bruges, Brussels and even Ghent. It has all the picturesque charm and history of those other historical Flemish cities and in addition it has one of the oldest universities in the world (early 15th century!).
There’s more, because Leuven is not just a historical city. Last year, it was named the most innovative city of Europe and its mixture of students and locals makes it a very lively city, with many places to enjoy the true Belgian life with a drink and a good meal. A tour of this Belgian city would not be complete without this aspect, therefore, history and heritage are intertwined with food tastings; a history and food tour of Leuven.
Leuven train station, your hotel or Monseigneur Ladeuzeplein.
We can adapt this private Leuven tour to your specific preferences or interests so the itinerary and the program are very flexible. Just let us know if you have any requests.
Typically, a walking history and food tour of 3 hours will include:
– Leuven City Hall and main Market Square
– St Peter’s Church
– Beguinage (UNESCO World Heritage: closed community for religious laywomen since 1200)
– Medieval Cloth Hall turned into student admin building
– Historical university colleges
– The University Library with Belfry (and a strong link with the U. S.)
(- Picturesque Botanical Garden)
– Remains of the City Wall
– Tastings of Belgian specialties: chocolate, waffle, local beer and frites (in the best places in town, I have done a lot of research)